twenty~five


This is a special post. Just a day after I delivered the pics of Marita, John messaged me saying how much everyone loved them and that we wondered if I could do pictures for his and Marion's upcoming 25th anniversary (awwwww!).


Of course I was! We had a hard time getting a date that would work---after being rained out once already, it rained again on our "rain date." It was a little disappointing because I could tell everyone was so excited. So I made a proposition: instead of postponing again, I told them I could do two mini sessions instead of one longer session, and we could have some fun outside with the umbrellas and the cold. So off I went to Chelsea, Quebec, with a little plastic baggy to throw over the camera, just in case.  

 
 

I'm so glad we went ahead. Not only was it a ton of fun, but it was just fun to do something a little different. In addition, the sky is like a giant softbox on grey days, so you don't have to worry about harsh shadows.  


I don't always work with my subjects ahead of the shoot on a theme, but Marion provided me with pictures that she particularly liked. They had a distinctly different look and feel than my usual work, so it was nice to play with some new techniques and explore some new "feels." If I hadn't seen the images she showed me, I think we would have had totally different results.  

just for fun - this is like that game when you are a kid and you have to find all the differences between two pictures that look the same!


The rings. The bracelet. The hands. The trees and the rocks. A quilt made by John's mom to cuddle under. An Italian leather jacket. I love that everything has meaning and a story.



It can be tricky shooting couples. You want the images to represent who they are and reflect their personalities. Some couples are lovey dovey cuddly and some aren't comfortable with that. You can't ask people do something they wouldn't normally do or it will just look awkward. I know that John isn't the mushy type, but I think Marion is a bit, and it was nice to watch their interactions. John played along and the emotions are genuine, and priceless!


Happy 25th you two! Definitely something to celebrate. Thanks for making me a part of it!
P.S. We still have Part 2 to do!

0 comments: