something new

I've been meaning for some time now to try HDR photography. It seemed to be a little more work than it's worth, and I had mixed feelings about it. Well, I tried it out, and it's not difficult at all. And I am convinced that there are some situations where it really is advantageous....as long as you don't get carried away. I tried to keep them realistic looking. I didn't use a tripod for these, but will next time! Curious to know what your thoughts are....
This third image (taken near the Lincoln Fields bus station) is not an HDR, but I took it today and it makes me happy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have been curious about HDR and I certainly like your results, especially the old farmhouse. You shall have to fill me in...Pete

Funkysandman said...

I think you nailed the HDR! I think it's a good technique for real estate shots too - you can bring out all the details.
It might take a little more than good pics to sell that farmhouse -is that an in-law suite on the side?

Anonymous said...

So what exactly is HDR?
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

by the way like the hill - clouds are cool

Jenna said...

thanks everyone!

C--HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. A camera sensor can't capture the full range of light in some situations. An HDR image is actually a composite of more than one image (usually 3-5). Each image is taken to correctly expose different parts of a scene. The merged image takes the "best" data from each image and puts it into one. It creates images that are closer to how we perceive things in some circumstances. That's the abbreviated version! So the 2 images (the Peace Tower and the farmhouse) are actually composites of 3 pictures each. Woot!

Sandy---you don't like my house???